File System Vs DBMS
File System and DBMS are two different terms. Let explain both terms one by one and comparison of File system vs database system also
What is File Management System?
- File management system is a collection of all those programs which store and manage data in files and folders of computer HD (hard disk).
- Data store on physical location of the Hard disk drive. So, users go manually to these locations and access these files easily.
- It is the simplest and easiest way to store the data like text, audios, videos, images, etc. in general files.
- Data redundancy (duplicity) is high in file management system, and it cannot be controlled easily. As two same files may exist in two different folders.
- Data consistency and the integration are not met. As if same two files are exist in two different folders and change in one folder does not update other.
- Operating System (OS) such as Linux and Windows has their own file system.
- For example, NTFS (New Technology File System) is the Windows file system, and EXT is the Linux file system.
Note: There are some problems with file system which are overcome through DBMS.
Database Management System (DBMS)
It is software designed to perform various operations on data i.e. store, retrieve, define, and manage etc. in a database.
File System Vs DBMS
Let see the comparison of File system vs database system
|1||File system is a software system which manages and controls the data-files in a computer system.||It is a software system used to manage the data in database|
|2||File system does not support multi-user access.||DBMS multi-user access.|
|3||In file system the Data consistency is low.||Data consistency is high in DBMS. As normalization remove duplicity.|
|4||File system is not secured.||Database Management System is highly secured.|
|5||File system stores the data in the form of unstructured.||DBMS is used for storing the structured data.|
|6||No data backup and recovery in a file system.||backup and recovery of data is present in DBMS.|
|7||It has low Cost as compare to DBMS.||It has high Cost as compare to file system.|
|8||Failure of one application does not affect other application in a file system.||Failure of database will affects all application depends on it.|
|9||Data cannot be shared In the file system because it is distributed in different files.||Data can be shared in DBMS because it is stored at one place in a database.|
|10||Example: New technology file system(NTFS ), Extended file system (EXT), etc.||Example: MySQL, MS SQL Server, DB2, Microsoft Access etc.|
|11||In File System, file Handling is easy.||In DBMS, DBMS Handling is complex.|