Digital computers are the modern computers that take data as input, process it, and convert it into useful information’s. These computers understand only the binary language i.e. 0, 1. In 1940s, the first electronic digital computer was developed.
A digital computer system subdivided into two major categories as below
1. Hardware: The hardware consists of all physical parts of the System i.e. CPU, HD, Keyboard, Mouse, etc.
2. Software: The software of the computer consists of instructions and data. CPU perform operations on this data
Components of Digital Computers
There are 5 basic components of digital computers. let explain
1. CPU: CPU contains ALU and CU. ALU performs the computer’s arithmetic (+.-, x, /) and logical (<, =, >) operations. CU controls the executions by generating the control and timing signals.
2. RAM: Before executing any program, first it loads into the RAM, it is the primary memory that stores the temporary data.
3. Input-output processor: The basic purpose of the input-output processor is to minimize the involvement of CPU to transfer data from Input to output devices.
4. Input devices: input devices are use to enter the data into the system, it includes Keyboard, mouse, etc.
5. Output devices: Output devices are use to display the data on output devices. it includes Monitor, printer, etc.
In next lecture we will see Logic Gates